The PDP Bill proposes that the processing of personal data must comply with seven principles for processing, namely:
- processing of personal data has to be fair and reasonable;
- it should be for a specific purpose;
- only personal data necessary for the purpose should be collected;
- it should be lawful;
- adequate notice of the processing should be provided to the individual;
- personal data processed should be complete, accurate and not mis-leading; and
- personal data can be stored only as long as reasonably necessary to satisfy the purpose for which it is processed.